A text-only view is available for this page, click the icon to transfer to our text-only view.
Adjust your text size below, click the link for your preferred text size.

Click here for a large text size
Click here for a medium text size
Click here for a small text size

Sign In / Create Account ( Why ? )

Money for Higher Education- Information for Parents

If your son or daughter is going to university, there's plenty of financial support on offer,
including Student Loans and non-repayable grants and bursaries. 
click here to visit Directgov's pages on student finance.

Money for Learning at 16-19

If your child stays in school, college or training after 16, Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is no longer available.  This has been replaced by An Enhanced learner support fund.

16 to 19 Bursary Fund

You can get help to pay for essential education-related costs if you’re 16 to 19 and in further education or training. You can’t apply if you’re studying at university.
The Bursary Fund can help pay for costs like:
  • equipment you might need for your course
  • lunch
  • transport to and from your school or college

Download ‘The 16 to 19 Bursary Fund: your questions answered’

Other sources of financial support for 16-19 year olds in learning:  


Child Benefit payments and Tax Credits usually stop when your child reaches 16. But the Child Benefit office can keep on paying them if your child is staying in relevant education or training. You may also be able to claim a Child Benefit extension if your child is under 18 and has registered for work, education or training. 

Care to Learn: if your child is a young parent (under 20) and wishes to continue in, or return to learning, then they may be able to get help with childcare and travel costs through the government's Care to Learn scheme.You'll find lots of information about Care to Learn at Directgov web site. But if you have any further questions - or if your child needs some help with their  application either:  call the Learner Support helpline on 0800 121 8989  

You can call the The Learner Support helpline on 0800 121 8989, for information and advice on applications for different grants; e.g the Adult Learning Grant; Care to Learn; the Sixth Form College Childcare Scheme, the Free Childcare for Training and Learning for Work scheme, Dance and Drama Awards and the Residential Support Scheme.

Financial Support

click on the links below for more information

money saving

Connexions Staff Login  /  Associates  /  LA  /  Accredited Learning Portal

© Copyright Greater Merseyside Connexions Partnership Limited 2011. Company No. 04233289 - Charity No. 1141077.