We want you to stay safe and in this section we have some helpful hints about chat room safety and about keeping yourself safe when you are out and about.
There is also advice about dealing with bullies and see the About Connexions
section to find out about our safeguarding policy . We aim to safeguard and promote the welfare of all children and young people. Safeguarding Children and Young People
If you feel at all threatened or worried please speak to one of our Connexions Personal Advisers who will offer you help and advice and, if required, will be able to access other services on your behalf.
- When you are out and about try and look confident and walk tall. It may sound crazy but confident people are less likely to be mugged. Other good tips are:
- Plan your route so you know where you are going
- Carry a mobile phone (out of sight) and a personal attack alarm
- Stick to busy, well lit places
- Wear comfortable clothes and spread your valuables around your pockets
- If you carry a bag have it slung over your shoulder with any zips or openings on the inside
- Walk facing the oncoming traffic. If you are walking in the same direction as the traffic and a car stops, turn around and walk the other way so that the car cannot follow you
- Jogging: don’t wear headphones as they make you less aware of what’s happening around you and don’t push yourself too far so that you are too tired to run away if you need to
- Finally: if you are attacked don’t shout ‘help’, shout ‘FIRE’. For some reason people react quicker to a shout of ‘FIRE’ than one of ‘help’
Tough Call - Gun Crime Awareness
- It’s a tough call walking away from gun crime.
- We can help you make the right call.Guns destroy lives.
Tough Call aims to increase awareness ofthe consequences of gun crime, and provides a valuable source of information for all those that may be affected by it. It tells you where you can go for help and what you can do if you suspect someone you know is involved in gun crime.
For more information or advice about gun crime visit www.toughcall.co.uk or click here to download the tough call poster